So I decided that this blog post would be something a little more interactive, and after going onto the University of Law’s website I found their quiz for 2013.
Even if you aren’t a law student I am sure you will be able to answer some of the questions as they will have no doubt been stories that have appeared in the news!
Don’t forget to let me know how you do – and I will post the answers tomorrow.
Good luck and thank you to the University of Law for compiling the quiz!
1) What was so unusual about a preliminary hearing that took place at Antrim Magistrates Court this year, which was considered to be a legal first?
a) It was so warm the judge wore shorts and a vest b) The defendant was unable to attend as she was stuck in the court’s lift c) A power cut allowed the defendant to escape d) The entire hearing was conducted in the court’s car park
2) Who on the 1 November 2013 ended their term as Director of Public Prosecutions?
a) Alison Saunders b) Sir Ken Macdonald QC c) Dame Barbara Mills DBEQC d) Keir Starmer QC
3) In 2013 which company was granted its ABS licence by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) allowing them to set up as a law firm?
a) Marks & Spencer b) Stobart Group c) Starbucks d) eBay
4) What was unusual about the 2013 court case between Michael Jackson’s family and concert firm AEG Live?
a) The judge accepted evidence from Michael Jackson’s ghost b) Michael Jackson’s pet chimpanzee Bubbles was present throughout the trial c) The Jackson families’ attorney moon-walked into court in homage to the late singer d) The judge admitted he had never heard of Michael Jackson prior to this case
5) Mr. Stephen Gough lost a High Court Appeal this year, but what right was he fighting for?
a) To be naked in public b) To grow cannabis legally c) To be able to vote in prison d) To marry his pet
6) The Supreme Court ruled that _________ could be “a place of meeting for religious worship”
a) Old Trafford b) The Church of Scientology chapel in central London c) A property once owned by Elvis Presley d) A formal screening of the film ‘Star Wars’
7) In 2013 Peter and Hazelmary Bull lost a battle in the Supreme Court over what issue?
a) The right to smoke inside their pub b) The right to deny gay people to stay at their B&B c) The right to show foreign sports channels in their pub d) The right to adopt two sets of twins
8) A lawyer was fined over 5,000 lei (£850) by a Romanian court this year for…
a) Using foul and abusive language towards the judge b) Arriving to court intoxicated c) Wearing trainers to attend court d) Attacking his client
9) Who on 1 October 2013 became Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales?
a) Mr. Tom Bingham (Baron Bingham of Cornhill) b) Mr. Harry Woolf (Baron Woolf) c) Mr. Igor Judge (Baron Judge) d) Mr. John Thomas (Baron Thomas of Cwmgiedd)
10) What occurred in the Court of Appeal for the first time in 2013?
a) TV cameras were allowed to film proceedings b) Betting on the outcome was allowed c) Barristers could wear casual clothing d) The judge was present via Skype
11) Judges lost one of their ‘perks’ this year, but was it…
a) Free lunches b) Chauffer driven cars c) Their Christmas party d) Sky Sports in their lodgings
12) Gabrielle Turnquest made history this year for becoming the…
a) First barrister to win an Olympic medal b) Youngest person to be called to the Bar of England and Wales c) The oldest practicing solicitor in the UK d) The youngest female to make partner in the UK
13) Why did a Kenyan lawyer’s petition to The Hague hit the headlines back in August of this year?
a) It was written in the form a rap b) The lawyer accidently shredded the only copy c) It concerned the trial and crucifixion of Jesus Christ d) The lawyer insisted on hand delivering it to the court
14) The Supreme Court dismissed appeals this year from two prisoners over the right to what?
a) Have weekly ‘matrimonial’ visits b) Have their pet cats join them in prison c) To vote d) Have a choice of which prison to complete their sentences at
15) A police officer in Italy’s Supreme Court achieved global YouTube fame in August of this year after being caught on camera doing what?
a) Appearing to dance to the YMCA during a court recess b) Knocking a jug of water on the judge c) Beginning to snore having fallen asleep d) Accidently discharging his weapon